CLEVELAND, TENN – October 5, 2017— The U.S. Forest Service is closing a portion of the Tellico Ranger District in Cherokee National Forest to public entry. The closure will remain in effect while the U.S. Navy is conducting an investigation of the October 1 crash of an aircraft from the Naval Air Station in Meridian, Mississippi.
The temporary closure order applies to the following areas:
- FS-RD 210 – Tellico River Road from Pheasant Field Picnic Area to Stateline Campground
- FS-RD – Beaverdam Bald Road
- FS-RD 61 – Whigg Meadow Road
- FS-RD – 40841
- FS-RD – 40921
- FS-RD – 2417 – Big Cove Branch Road
- Benton MacKaye Trail #2 from Sandy Gap to Mud Gap
- Kirkland Creek Trail (#85)
- Whigg Ridge Trail (#86)
- Brookshire Creek Trail (#180)
The Donley Cabin (access to cabin only), Dam Creek Campground and Spivey Cove Campground (access to campgrounds only) will remain open.
For information about the closure area call the Tellico Ranger District at 423-254-8400.